Saturday, September 17th, with a rain date of Saturday, October 22nd.
GARS is activating the Abbotts Bridge Unit of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area several times this year.
At this activation, we are going for the Five Star Activator by completing 5 out of the following tasks:
– Complete a Satellite QSO at the Park (as W4GR) during the activation;
– Transmit at least one electronic message via Amateur Radio to a third party. Any digital messaging format may be used to earn this bonus. The message must leave the NPS unit via RF on an Amateur Radio frequency;
– (Public Information Table) Promote Amateur Radio during your activation by making appropriate handouts and information available to the visiting public at the site (I’ll have to get approval from the Park for this);
– Send a press release of your activation to the local media (this needs to be coordinated with the Park Ranger);
– Demonstrate Amateur Radio using any of the digital modes available to radio amateurs to an audience of at least one person not familiar with the digital modes;
– Promote your activation, post video or photographs of your activation on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other social media platform (not your website; I think we have already done this);
– (Share The Mike) Have a non-ham or new ham make a contact. (Similar to Field Day’s GOTA operating station).
We plan to arrive at the unit around 09:00 am, set up, have lunch around 12:30 pm, and operate until about 5:00 pm. We plan to have 2 HF stations operating both SSB and CW, depending on the participation. If you plan to come we suggest that you bring your own chair.
PLEASE NOTE: There is a $3 parking fee if you don’t have a National Parks pass. When the parking lot is full, we are allowed to park along the path leading up to the parking lot.
For more information about the ARRL National Parks on the Air (NPOTA) event – https://npota.arrl.org/
NPOTA rules – http://www.arrl.org/npota-rules/
For more information about the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area – https://www.nps.gov/chat/